We are Austria’s largest Research and Technology Organisation and an international player in the research areas that we cover. This makes us a leading development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Energy in Vienna invites applications for a:
Master Thesis “Urban Energy Systems Modelling”
Digital Resilient Cities
- Our team is establishing a platform for modelling and analysis of urban energy systems at city and district levels. As part of this effort an integrated demand-supply analysis will be performed for the Vienna city region using bottom-up scenario-based models, available at the competence Unit “Digital and Resilient Cities”.
- The proposed master thesis deals with the analysis and optimization of future energy supply alternatives of Vienna city region.
- In-depth literature review
- Familiarization with the concept of the techno-economic optimization model MESSAGE
- Input data preparation: data preparation/processing covering Vienna city energy balance, current techno-economic and environmental status and related limits and constraints, energy policy targets of future Vienna energy supply strategy, Smart city Vienna framework strategy (SCWR)
- Reconstruction of the Base Year energy supply of Vienna city region (2016/2017)
- Development of future long-term development scenarios (BAU and sustainable energy scenarios) up to 2050
- Running the model and extraction, evaluation and interpretation of the results covering primary energy supply mix, power and heat expansion plans and resulting CO2 emissions
- Writing the thesis and preparing the final report
- The planned analysis will help to formulate a long-term sustainable energy vision (SEV) for Vienna and to provide recommendations for future follow up activities.
- The vision will imply also the development of decarbonization pathway up to the year 2050.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Bachelor degree in mechanical, electrical, environmental or industrial engineering, or related fields.
- Interest in and experience with energy technology, clean energy options and energy system analysis.
- Excellent communication skill and ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Good command of German and English (written and verbal)
What to expect:
At least EUR 719,51 gross per month for 20 hours/week based on the collective agreement. The actual salary will be determined individually based on your qualifications and experience. There will be additional company benefits! As a research institution we are familiar with the supervision and execution of Master theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly.
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Then please submit your application documents (CV, motivational letter, certificates) via https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/117271