→ Apply until 26/11/2019 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Sciences
→ Department WE09 - Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
→ AAP temporary appointment - 100%
→ Number of openings: 1
→ Reference number: 201907/WE09/DA/013
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in bioinformatics, in integrative biology, in systems genetics, and/or network biology related to the research activities of the interdisciplinary research group ‘dataintegration and network biology’ (see http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/DBN/ and https://www.ibcn.intec.ugent.be/content/profkathleen-marchal).
- You will assist in teaching activities at Bachelor’s or Master’s level and will contribute to the practical classes and seminars of courses related to bioinformatics that are taught in the framework of the Bachelor and Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology and in the Master of Science in Bioinformatics.
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department, mainly by contributing to the coordination of the Master of Science in Bioinformatics. You will be the point of contact for foreign students, you will be the representative of the Master of Science in Bioinformatics during information sessions (SID in days, …). You will be involved in the organization and evaluation of the master thesis.
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree: in Science; in Applied Biological Sciences; in Engineering, in Health Sciences with a focus in the PhD research on bioinformatics or an equivalent degree or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research in the field of bioinformatics, either in NGSdata analysis, systems biology, systems genetics, omics data integration and/or network-biology, preferentially with a focus on method development.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate.
- You can present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peerreviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a threeyear appointment. The appointment may be renewed once for three years at the most, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a postdoctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 January 2020.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Kathleen Marchal (kathleen.marchal@UGent.be, +32 (0)486 90 99 43).